As of Oct. 7, 2009, Ohio’s Booster Seat Law requires all children to use belt-positioning booster seats once they outgrow their child safety seats (usually at 4 years old and 40 pounds) until they are 8 years old, unless they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches (57 inches) tall.
Ohio’s revised child restraint law requires the following:
- Children less than 4 years old or 40 pounds must use a child safety seat.
- Children less than 8 years old, unless they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall must use a booster seat.
- Children ages 8-15 must use a child safety seat or safety belt.
Fines will range from a minimum of $25 to a maximum of $75 per occurrence. A booster seat can be purchased for as little as $15. Don’t wait for a ticket!
- Booster seats raise a child up so the shoulder belt fits correctly, by lying over the middle of the shoulder and the center of the chest – the strongest parts of a child’s body. The booster seat also positions the lap belt across the child’s upper hips or thighs, not over the stomach. Without a booster, the lap belt can ride up onto the stomach and cause hip, stomach and spinal cord injuries in a crash.
- Using a booster seat with a seat belt instead of using a seat belt alone for a child this age reduces the risk of injury in a crash by 59 percent. Researchers with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimate that more than half the children killed in motor vehicles in motor vehicle crashes each year would be alive today if seat belt use and child safety seat use were at 100 percent.
If you need any additional information about Ohio's Booster Seat Law, please visit the Ohio Department of Health's Healthy Ohio page. If you find yourself unfairly charged with a violation of Ohio's Booster Seat Law, give us a call.
OVI Attorney Charles M. Rowland II dedicates his practice to defending the accused drunk driver in the Miami Valley and throughout Ohio. He has the credentials and the experience to win your case and has made himself Dayton’s choice for drunk driving defense. Contact Charles Rowland by phone at (937) 318-1384 or toll-free at 1-888-ROWLAND (888-769-5263). If you need assistance after hours, call the 24/7 DUI Hotline at (937) 776-2671. You can have DaytonDUI at your fingertips by downloading the DaytonDUI Android App or have DaytonDUI sent directly to your mobile device by texting DaytonDUI (one word) to 50500. Follow DaytonDUI on Facebook, @DaytonDUI on Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, Pheed and Pintrest or get RSS of the Ohio DUI blog. You can emailCharlesRowland@DaytonDUI.com or visit his office at 2190 Gateway Dr., Fairborn, Ohio 45324. “All I do is DUI defense.”
Ohio's Booster Seat Law information and other city-specific info at the following links: